Saturday, May 20, 2017

The Collections 1.4 Archives - Skateboards



Much like the three past collections I highlighted in The Collections 1.2 Archives – 90’s Style, my skateboard collection was also small, sports related, and functional. The first skateboard I ever owned was a 70’s style mini-board that I bought for $2.00 at a swap meet in the mid-80’s. I then endured two Toys R Us skateboards before graduating to “real” skateboards. My first board was Mike McGill’s first deck. Although Tony Hawk was my favorite skater back then, I was never a fan of his boards. Regarding trucks, I was always an Independent man, but had some Tracker trucks as well. Wheels would vary from board to board, but Powell Peralta and Vision were always high on the list.

I was not able to find exact color-matched images for some of the boards I used to own, but this is how the collection broke down:

Boards #1-14 were all used during my “skateboarding years” in the 80’s and early 90’s. They were then all sold, along with my stock pile of extra trucks, wheels, skate keys, etc., in the late 90’s. In my mid-twenties I had a nostalgic urge to skate again and purchased a new board (board #15 on the list above). By the 2000’s it was tricky to find a deck like I was used to, as the [at the time] current style was a much thinner board. However, one trip to the skate park quickly showed me that I was too old to do anything other than light, recreational skating. That board I still own. The only other deck I had which wasn’t on the list has an original Mike McGill deck that was converted into a functional, battery operated wall clock. I still own the deck clock, and it still works. I’ve been undecided for years now as to whether or not I should sell it. I feel like if a good offer came along, I probably would seeming it hasn’t been hung/used in decades. 


Previous articles in this series:
The Collections 1.1 The Overview
The Collections 1.2 Archives – 90’s Style


No comments:

Post a Comment