Wednesday, April 29, 2020

Star Wars Collecting: Collection Focus


My Star Wars collection has definitely evolved over the years. From the early stages, to multiple shifts in collection focus, the only static variable has been growth. However, I've discovered that my most recent decision regarding my collection focus has led to a rekindled passion and enjoyment, and the largest sense of satisfaction I've felt with collecting in a very long time. This is by no means a "collecting gospel" geared towards applying to other collectors. This is solely my personal experience.

The childhood years of collecting were essentially about acquiring anything Star Wars related that I could. During high school, college, and my early twenties, life was focused elsewhere and I did little more than add a few new pieces a year. I then started hardcore collecting in my mid-to-late twenties. At that time I still grabbed as much as I could get my hands on, but I focused heavily on Hasbro 3-3/4", lightsabers and blasters, and EU novels and books. This lasted for some years before I developed a 3-Tier system. Somewhat self-explanatory, the 3-Tier system broke down what I was hunting into three prioritized categories. There were then hunt lists and specifications for each category in each tier.


The issue with the 3-Tier system was that, even though I only acquired items from the three tiers, I often failed to stick to the prioritized part. I'd often buy pieces based on opportunity, or for the sad sake of not having to purchase later for inflated resale prices if I missed out on retail. Thus I would often get pieces I wanted, but in lieu of pieces I wanted more. So from there I moved to a "Top 100" list. This was simply a list of the hundred pieces I most wanted to add to my collection. While the list only contained a hundred items, it was divided up by category. This system was extremely short lived as the system itself was flawed. New licensed pieces are released all the time, and new non-licensed pieces are discovered all the time. Therefore the list had to be updated and rearranged almost daily. The list also did not take into account the items needed for my Prides of Nexu Museum (aka my Star Wars room), such as; display furniture, display accessories, framing for artwork, etc. nor my list of customs and commissions. It simply was not a viable way to hunt.


The “Top 100” list was quickly replaced with the 4-List system. There was a list for the Ahsoka hunt, which would be added to and subtracted from frequently. The second list consisted of the items remaining from the “Top 100” list after the Ahsoka category had been removed. The third list was for the Prides of Nexu museum display, and the final list was for pieces I would either have custom made or commissioned. At the time, this system felt good and like it might actually hold. However, during the Covid-19 quarantine/stay-at-home I went to pre-order The Black Series 6” TFU Stormtrooper Commander, TFU Shadow Stormtrooper, and the Commander Bly. GameStop’s website and online pre-order system was acting up, as it always seems to do for me. I realized that with what I was planning to spend on those three figures, coupled with what I saved by having two toy swap meets cancelled due to the Coronavirus, I could hunt down a more expensive Ahsoka piece that I really want. So I did just that. I found a sealed Hasbro Ahsoka’s Jedi Starfighter vehicle and treated myself. It was a piece I missed at retail in 2009 that had sat on my hunt lists (regardless of which system), for the past eleven years. It was extremely satisfying.

Ahsoka had been the main focal point of my collection since late 2008, but after purchasing and receiving the Jedi Starfighter I made the decision to solely focus on Ahsoka collecting moving forward. No more hunt systems. I still need display furniture, display accessories, and framing for the collection room, but I need those items regardless in order to finally display my collection in full. Ninety five percent of the custom and commission items were Ahsoka related anyway, so I just dumped what wasn’t. And lastly I shrunk what was remaining of the “Top 100” list down to just the pieces I really want to complete certain collections. It’s not a long list. However, combing that list, items my brother will be grabbing for me at Galaxy’s Edge, and the inevitable freebees and gifts that always seem to drop in my lap, it’s not like I’ll never add non-Ahsoka pieces to the collection in the future. But as far as what I’m hunting and purchasing on a weekly/monthly basis, it’s going to be strictly Ahsoka. And even though it’s only been a few weeks since the decision was made, I’ve already seen a difference in my perspective regarding collecting. Despite the size and variety of my collection, only collecting one character gives me a greater sense of accomplishment. It’s like I’m actually working towards a goal as opposed to endlessly purchasing Star Wars items. I’m definitely proud of my collection as a whole, but with the Ahsoka collection that pride is somehow magnified a bit. The hunt is a little more fulfilling. As with the Jedi Starfighter example, pieces I’ve desperately wanted for years will now become a higher priority. Focusing strictly on collecting Ahsoka will allow me to get the most out of my collecting experience. Granted it helps that a lot of my other sub-collections have already been completed, or are just a few short pieces away from being so. Bottom line, it feels good, and brings me joy. So I’m down with it!

All of this [of course] is solely predicated on having, and continuing to have, a modest monthly/annual collecting budget. Should my finances ever drastically change, i.e. winning the PowerBall, then all of this goes right out of the window. Yes, Ahsoka could still be the main focus in the collection, but at that point I’d be buying up everything else as well. Thus, I still continue to keep my non-Ahsoka want lists up to date, but that’s more for fun than anything else. I’m obviously not banking on having that drastic of a financial change. Haha!

1 comment: