Tuesday, January 14, 2020

Love the Star Wars You Love, Choose Your Own Canon


Prior to 1999 Star Wars fans were simply just that, 'Star Wars fans'. Star Wars fandom enthusiastically revolved around the Original Trilogy, and everyone was happy. While mixed opinions on the Holiday Special, Droids, Ewoks, and the budding Expanded Universe existed, none of those were widespread enough to really make a difference at the time. Star Wars fandom didn't yet have distinctions. That all changed with the Prequel Trilogy, which divided the fandom for the first time. For many Star Wars fans, their fandom now had an asterisk next to it, which was new territory for the fandom. By the end of 2013, the Clone Wars micro series, The Clone Wars (movie and TV series), and an extremely rich and dynamic Expanded Universe introduced even more various factions of Star Wars fans. However, despite the varying degrees of likes and dislikes, everything available fell under the same canon and chronology. Enter 2014, the year that saw the death of the Expanded Universe and original canon, and the start of the Disney-era canon, beginning with Rebels and The Force Awakens. If Star Wars fandom was splintered before, 2014 absolutely blew it to smithereens. And that was just the beginning. For the next four years (2015 to 2019), fandom continued to fluctuate with every new release. And unless you completely avoided all platforms of social media (or going outside), we are all aware of how vocal, passionate, and in some instances, combative, Star Wars fans can be...on all sides and perspectives. The old cliché, "No one hates Star Wars more than Star Wars fans", couldn't be more accurate for some. 

What’s the point of all this? To illustrate that (as 2020 gets underway), no two Star Wars fans alike. And you know what? There's absolutely nothing wrong with that. Shocker, right? But it's true. Whether one only likes the Original Trilogy, likes everything ever made, or any combination in between, its’ okay. Within Star Wars' forty two year history; movies, shows, novels, characters, stories, two canons, etc., every fan has a list of what they love and have emotionally connected with. Star Wars resonates differently with each individual, and has the power to inspire and captive people in a multitude of ways. Consider who Star Wars fans are. They are people of every gender, age, ethnicity, social and economic status, and country of origin. Given that level of diversity, spanning four generations, it would be absolutely absurd to expect everyone to all like the same things. Therein lies the beauty of Star Wars, it truly offers something for everyone.

For the sake of argument let's assume all Star Wars fans are accepting of each fan having a distinct list of his/her 'Star Wars likes'. Sadly that’s probably not the case, but let’s roll with it. Where does that leave the canons? From May 1977 to April 2014 George Lucas and Lucasfilm depicted what was canon. Beginning in May 2014, Disney and Lucasfilm rolled out their new canon. While the two canons do overlap and contradict one another, the best way to view them is as completely separate entities. A prime example is Luke Skywalker. In the original, Lucas-era canon [post-Return of the Jedi] Luke goes on to become arguably the greatest Force user in the history of the galaxy. Disney-era canon also has a Luke Skywalker character, but the events of that character’s life are dramatically different. Same character name, two different characters, two different canons. Star Wars is an insanely powerful force (no pun intended), and fans live and breathe the stories and history at a religious-type level. Because of this fans sometimes forget one crucial factor, it’s all fiction. All of it is fiction. Therefore, just as fans are free to choose which pieces of Star Wars they enjoy, they are also free to choose what they consider, for them, to be canon. Keep in mind that choosing one’s own personal canon will never change what is actually recorded as Lucas-era canon, or Disney-era canon. But if sticking to a particular canon brings you more joy out of Star Wars, then that is your canon. When an artist writes a song, or a poem, or paints a picture, said artist does so with an understanding of what the piece means to him or her. However, when that art is shared with the world, the listeners, readers, and viewers gleam their own interpretations based off how the piece speaks to them. Star Wars is storytelling, and storytelling is an art form.
  
To be fair, I would not have said this prior to there being two canons. When there was only one canon, it felt more like gospel, and you took the good with the bad, and focused your time on the pieces you enjoyed most. Having two fictional canons in existence changes the game. I love the Original Trilogy, the Prequel Trilogy, Clone Wars, The Clone Wars, and the Expanded Universe. The 1977-April 2014 chronology that put all of that together in a timeline spanning over thirty seven thousand years means the world to me. That is Star Wars to me. Thus, when the Disney-era canon began I was furious. The sequel trilogy and Rebels were taking place in time periods already covered in the EU. And Rogue One and Solo were blatant re-tellings of stories already told in the EU. I wasn’t happy, and I wasn’t enjoying Star Wars anymore. That’s when it hit me, and I realized three important things. One, life is too short to be upset and not taking pleasure in things I like. Two, while Disney/Lucasfilm will go on making their new version of Star Wars, they can never erase or take away the first thirty seven years of Star Wars. Thus, I can forever hold onto and keep my Star Wars, and my Star Wars canon. And lastly, I didn’t want to be another one of those negative Star Wars fans. I will always have my personal feeling about Disney and post-George Lucasfilm, but that has nothing to do with other fans. Just as no one can tell me what my Star Wars is or is not, I have zero desire to depict or influence what Star Wars should be to anyone else. I’m perfectly content just doing me, as other fans should be perfectly content enjoying whichever forms of Star Wars makes them happy.

This change in perspective was huge for me, and not only rekindled my love affair with my Star Wars, but in a sense increased the intensity because I realized how truly precious it is. It only dies if I let it. As the old Jedi proverb goes, “Your focus determines your reality”. And I’d much rather have my attention focused on all the amazing things the OT, PT, CW, TCW, and EU gave us. I have a deep connection with the Lucas-era of Star Wars, and am emotionally invested in those stories, those characters, and that history. In addition, because I do not have a connection with the new canon, I can treat it as I would any other form of fan fiction, thus allowing me to enjoy some of it, just on a different level. My point of view going in is different, therefore there’s zero chance for disappointment, but always a chance I’ll enjoy it. Take The Mandalorian for example, I absolutely loved season one. It will never be my canon, but it was Star Wars I enjoyed and could get excited for. It’s a great balance, for me, to hold onto the Star Wars I love and cherish, but still be able to partake in the new era of Star Wars content.

Obviously that was just my experience, and it won’t hold true for every fan. But I do encourage all Star Wars fans to separate themselves from the negativity and collective voice(s) of the fandom at large. Its’ okay to like what you like, don’t worry about what anyone else is doing, just do you. I’ll end on this last thought. From George Lucas to Timothy Zahn, from Dave Filoni to Troy Denning, and from JJ Abrams to whomever is creating Star Wars content a decade from now, everyone who has ever worked on providing the world with stories from the Star Wars universe has done so with the intention of sharing amazing tales from a galaxy far, far away. But just like any piece of art, it won’t please, impress, or satisfy every fan. That’s an impossible feat. So whatever you choose to be your Star Wars and your Star Wars canon, love and appreciate those for what they mean to you. No two Star Wars fans are alike, but we’re all Star Wars fans in one form or another.

May The Force Be With You!

No comments:

Post a Comment